Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

• 06/12/03
    • Pasajero en Extinción
    #1 Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

Hace 10 años se hacia conocido en Cazador, hoy es uno de los Youngs Guns (grupo de artistas que la editorial va a tratar de meter hasta en la sopa.) de Marvel para este año.
    Con buenas criticas en su nuevo trabajo en Punisher War Journal (que a mi gusto tiene el mismo problema que los trabajos de Ross, o sea 0 (cero) narrativa).
    Esta es una entrevista que le hicieron, donde habla de todo un poco (de sus viejos tiempos y sus nuevos proyectos). Esta en ingles, pero no es muy dificil de entender (teniendo en cuenta que el entrevistado y entrevistador son latinoamericanos, esto debe ser una traduccion)

For the first Bullpen Bulletins Report we managed to get a hold of Punisher War Journal artist, Ariel Olivetti. He was kind enough to answer our questions and even kinder to not make fun of them. So read on Marvel fan and get a little deeper in the Marvel Universe.

Do you still live in Argentina? Can you tell us a bit of what its like living there?

I live in Argentina in the Buenos Aires province. I love my country and that's why whatever I'd say about it would be biased.

Most artists get started as such because of influences they have during their childhood and later in life, can you remember yours?

I have a major influence in my work, the drawings and colors of Richard Corben

At the age of 20 you were working for a magazine called FIERRO, can you talk about how that time was for you?

I had just finished my career off Graphic Designer and i went to work at FIERRO Magazine because. at that time, it was the biggest comic magazine in Argentina and surprisingly enough they offered me the chance to work in it.
    I really wasn't in the same rank as the other artists that drew for that magazine.

I'm curious about EL CAZADOR, a super hero comic, the first in Argentina, is that right? Can you tell us about it? Was it fun work for you? Was that when you knew that this, drawing super heroes, was what you wanted to do?

EL CAZADOR wasn't the first Argentinean Super-Hero Comic Book but the most successful one. It had a format of a comic book but it wasn't a classic Super-Hero Comic, it was about a character filled with humor and critique. We're planning to publish it again with the other creators of the character, Jorge Lucas,Mauro Cascioli,Claudio Ramirez.

Obviously, you're working with Marvel now, did you read Marvel before you started doing American comics?

No, my favorite characters were Superman and Batman, the Marvel Comics weren't published in Argentina.

Do you read it now?

No, I don't read Super-Hero Comics, but I like to read European Comics, Segrelles, Bouq, Liberatore, Moebius.

So you signed an exclusive contract with Marvel for, 3 years and a half right? Anything in the horizon that you can tells us about besides the Punisher War Journal?

Yes I have an exclusive contract with Marvel but I don't know what will come after the Punisher, I want to keep working with this character a for a while.

How is it working with Matt Fraction?

I love the way Matt writes!!!!

Matt Fraction is a writer that can be a little 'out there', based on Casanova. Are there requests made by him that you wouldn't think would be in a comic book?

No, with the Punisher we can play with the limit of what it can and what it cant be done.

The Punisher is coming from the pages of Garth Ennis book, which has a very different tone, since its a Max title, does that come into play when the creative team and you especially, are looking for a tone to set the character in?

No, I didn't really fixed myself in anything to create the character, I wanted to move freely and have fun.

You have a very unique look for Frank Castle. Are you influenced by other artists that have worked on the Punisher character?

I think that graphically, my Punisher is more like the one by John Romita Jr, one of my favorite artists.

I know you worked with Peter David in the Last Avengers story, you've drawn X-Man, Daredevil, you're drawing Frank now, is there a writer that you'd like to work with?

I want to keep working with Matt and work again with Joe Nelly.

How was working with Peter David?

Very good, but we didn't have any contact during the project, i only met him after.

What is your favorite character to draw? Is there a dream character you'd love to work on?

The characters that they never given me and that I would love to draw are the Hulk and Venom.

Can you tell us anything about whats coming up for Frank in the next few months?

Nooooooooooooooooo, its a big surprise and I think Marvel is planning something special for Castle.

Are you a fan of the big crossovers, the events?

I like crossovers but the i cant follow big events because of lack of time.

You've been doing work in color and the Punisher War Journal in which, even though the first few issues are colored by another artist (Dean White), you manage to maintain the same artistic aspect of previous works, how is this work for you, artistically?

Personally, I think its my best work yet, and I try to make it better issue after issue. Marvel is really supporting this project, and that drives me to do my best.

People loved the first issue in Black and White, what do you think makes people so attracted to your artwork?

That's great!!!!! I really don't know what people like more bout it, I haven't had the opportunity to talk with the readers or read their letters, but I sincerely think that I'm drawing much better than before and I try to keep learning every day a little more.

Who are the artists that more influence you in the techniques that you use today?

Corben, Bisley, Chichón, Mauro Cascioli…………..

Can you give any artistic tips to someone that wants to get into this industry?

Never stop studying, at least that's what worked for me.
    Registrarse Inicia sesión

Y ya que estamos dejo un Registrarse Inicia sesión
  1. ¿Este tema te pareció interesante? Compártelo!

¿No es lo que buscabas? Intenta buscar un tema similar

8 comentarios / 1804 Visitas

• 23/07/05
    • its totally awesome, man!
    27/01/2007
    #2 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

muy buena entrevista. lo mejor, quiere volver a trabajar con joe "nelly"

• 10/11/05
    27/01/2007
    #3 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

me causa cuando dice que no lee,nada de lo que dibuja

• 18/08/04
    28/01/2007
    #4 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti
    You have a very unique look for Frank Castle. Are you influenced by other artists that have worked on the Punisher character?

I think that graphically, my Punisher is more like the one by John Romita Jr, one of my favorite artists.

El chanta se compara con JR JR??? WTF?
      • 10/04/05
    28/01/2007
    #5 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

jajaja muy graciosa la nota, como se nota que nadie se gasto en leerla antes de postearla

Cita Escrito por jango fett
    me causa cuando dice que no lee,nada de lo que dibuja
    Supongo que lo que dibuja lo lee, lo que no lee es todo lo que tiene que ver con lo que dibuja...
    Cita Escrito por Bird Man
    El chanta se compara con JR JR??? WTF?
    cualquiera
    • Bruno M
      Invitado
    28/01/2007
    #6 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

no puede compararse con Jr Jr, que tipo hijo de puta! Romita Jr es un narrador nivel ALPHA, Olivetti no es más que un ilustrador que roba haciendo páginas compuestas por paneles que pretenden ser un comic.

PD: El que sí hace un Punisher muy decente es Leandro Fernández.

• 10/11/05
    29/01/2007
    #7 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti
    Cita Escrito por AbsolutKirby Ver mensaje
    Supongo que lo que dibuja lo lee, lo que no lee es todo lo que tiene que ver con lo que dibuja...

cualquiera
    es lo mismo

que bueno que muchos les guste jr jr,aveces pienso que soy el unico
      • 25/01/07
    29/01/2007
    #8 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

Un groso Ariel, ojalá largue todas esas pavadas de Marvel y vuelva a dibujar El Cazador con Lucas, Cascioli y compañía.

• 22/06/05
    29/01/2007
    #9 Re: Entrevista a Ariel Olivetti

Yo pensaba que era el único al que no le cierra el arte de Olivetti. no es que me disguste, pero me parece que a los comics que hace le falta gracia.

mas allá de eso sabe muchisimo de anatomia y maneja genial el color (pero creo que eso está fuera de discusión)

IR ARRIBA